Warning:

Warning: The following blog entries may contain foul language, asexuality, violent content, strange ways of thinking, and other kinds a strange stuff. If you have troubles with any of the above or anything you read then I would strongly advise you leave. If you have any complaints or problems feel free to make your own blog. If you read on and still have problems or just don't like what you are reading get over yourself.
Other then that please enjoy!

Sunday, April 17, 2011

I am not a Weapon, nor am I Infectious

Dear Readers,
(Warning: This post is mostly just a ramble, though it does have to do with asexuality.)
Did I ever mention that my family can be rather sarcastic and strange at times? Well, if I haven't then take that last question and make it into a statement. I told my wonderful first cousin that I was asexual yesterday. She looked at me like I was crazy before stating that she didn't know to be happy or sad for me. I told her either would do fine.

We continued having a nice conversation until her phone rang, it was her ex-husband calling. She talked with him for a bit before shouting that if he did not behave, she would sic me on him. She did not want to hug me either. Apparently being asexual makes me into a violent weapon, or some sort of infectious disease.
Now I love my cousin to death, but she can really be a moron. I had to explain to her that I was NOT contagious, and that she and her family would be fine. She just brushed it off and our conversation ended, right after she dyed my hair so that it looks almost unnatural.

My family has a history of being homophobic, with me and a few others being an exception, and also has a long history of disease. My family also has a tendency to not talk about things such as sexual orientations, and apparent "problems" in the family, as if not talking about it will make it go away.
This makes me sad to see. When I ask why our family doesn't talk about it, they all go quiet and avoid the subject. I personally love talking about things to try and make things better. But such is life.

Anyway the main point I am trying to make is that Asexuality is not a disease, at least to me its not. I don't see it as a "problem" and just because I am different doesn't make me into a weapon of sorts that can scare away stupid ex-husbands. I am not contagious and I am not a weapon. I am an asexual named Sarah, and if my family thinks that is strange, well there isn't much I can do, now is there?

Sincerly,
Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Gays are clearly weapons. We scare military men!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Saw this pop up on the Apositive feed; hope you don't mind the intrusion.

    I've come across the "asexuality is contagious" notion, though not from my family (the extended members of which prefer the "it's a phase" approach). I see it mostly in the parents of my female friends, who either know (because I've said so) or suspected that I'm asexual, and who are worried that their daughters will never get married or have babies because of my "influence". Even though I'm pro-sex, pro-babies, and pro-marriage -- if that's right for the individual. It is to sigh.

    Sorry to hear your cousin reacted that way. :/

    ReplyDelete